Do you find IKEA to be complicated to assemble?

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 20, 2011

IS OUR APARTMENT LEGAL? IS JOSEPHINE LAZZARINI BATTIALA A SLUMLORD????

Hello Everyone!

       We FINALLY had an inspector from the New York City Department Of  Housing & Preservation after about a Dozen complaints to 311! Well, an Inspector FINALLY showed up at 7:30 P.M. on Friday night to inspect our apartment that included electrical problems in the bathroom and kitchen resulting in no lights. I asked myself who does an inspection at night in the dark? This inspector had no idea of the codes and was not even prepared enough to bring in a flashlight. I explained that one day about 12 days ago I went to use the bathroom I turned on the bathroom light switch only to have a large spark fly from the cieling light and it blew the lights in the bathroom as well as the kitchen. The light fixture in the cieling has some sort of foil applied to it behind the bulbs for some reason. Now this so called "Professional" Licensed City Inspector had me climb onto the water logged damaged vanity and install a light bulb. Believe me this guy had no roots to Albert Einstien in his family tree.
       The funny part was the "SLUMLORD" a.k.a. Josephine Lazzarini Battiala who owns our building at 30-18 44th street in Astoria, Queens 11103, recieved a call from the Inspector or his office that he was coming so she cranked up the heat so we haven't had HOT water that lasted more than 2 minutes in four (4) months I decided to take a shower before he arrived. Well, the "SLUMLORD", I mean Landlord, Josephine Lazzarini Battiala Had it sooooo HOT that not even a minute after I turned the water on and began undressing the HOT water handle came shooting off hitting the back of the tub/shower wall followed by a stream of SCALDING HOT WATER, so I attempted to place the handle back on to at least stop it while my roomate told her or her daughter who thinks she is a contractor to cut off the main water valve. However, even though it was burning my hand I kept trying to get it back over the pipe but it just wouldn't go because I noticed that it was "Jerry Rigged" with silicone that's why it came off because it wasn't used to normal Hot water and became loose so now water is burning me and the rest of the water is gushing downstairs to the poor girls in the apartment below us who have been complaining to the "SLUMLORD" ever since we moved in about the leak when we showered because the floor has no moisture resistant wonderboard nevermind any type of membrane that is required by New York City Law and Code to prevent such accidents. Now my roomate is on the phone with 911 because he was afraid and concerned that the water pouring through the wall into their apartment would hit one of the "SLUMLORD's" illegal wires and cause a fire or electricute one of them. While on the phone one of the nice girls from below us came to tell us and we told her what happened so she rushed to tell the "SLUMLORD" to cut the water. Thank GOD "SLUMLORD" Josephine Lazzarini Battiala was here because she normally lives in her house in Rocky Point, Ny 11778 not exactly sure where because she only provides us with her P.O. Box address. Now she does make her Grand Appearance when the rent is due! Her sixty (60) year old son "Nico" who still lives with Mommy drives her down from Rocky Point and acts as her Handyman but can't read a measuring tape?? Anyway, prior to this waterfall, several months ago he came to reseal the bottom of the tub and repair the vanity that is water rotted. Well Nico, being the well educated Handyman that ALL "SLUMLORD's" keep around used "PAT" which is used to seal little areas around doors and basically DRY areas because it is water soluable and just flakes away when water is introduced to it. Great Job Nico!!!!! HMMMMMMM........ I wonder why he didn't take my advice and buy water proof silicone sealant that is actually made for sealing such areas? That's right it cost about $5.00 (five dollars) more and he wasn't sure how to use a caulk gun. Now that is one hell of a Handyman! I know your asking why I didn't just fix the problem myself, right? Well, that did cross my mind but I figured since I am paying $1500.00 per month plus all utilities including gas in which I believe is used to heat the boiler because I nor my roomate do any cooking on our Gas stove that does NOT have a vent we still get a gas bill.
          The whole incident was beyond hillarous even though very dangerous. Not only it blow the HOT water handle off 10 minutes before the inspector arrived, it also heated up the old silicone that they claimed was on their brand new bathroom and two (2) tiles fell down exposing the OUTTER WALL. That's right, the daughter who continues to swear the bathroom is new and becomes even newer with every swig from her Liqour Bottle so by noon it was installed while I was sleeping lastnight.(LOL)  Anyway, the fallen tiles exposed that behind our NEW bathroom shower tiles was NO Gypsum board, moisture resistant board, nevermind any type of Membrane that is required by Code on the shower all and floor which there is not. Actually, there is NOTHING  behind the tiles except the OUTTER WALL without even a fiber of insulation. After I explained that if they attempted to do the Plumbing themselves like her son Nico did placing a Coolwhip bowl under my leaking bathroom sink and his Professional "PAT" tub sealing job I would call the Department of Buildings where my "SLUMLORD", Josephine Lazzarini Battiala is well known. You can view her Report Card or YOUR Buildings Report Card by going to the New York City Department of Buildings.

          I thank my Lucky Stars for having enough sense to buy my Digital Camera that allowed me to take pictures of the Exposed wall after the tile fell as well as the hole in the floor without any subfloor or membrane. I also got pictures of all the mold in the bathroom on the cieling, the peeling paint all throughout our apartment that more than likely has lead and even ASBESTOS from the age of the building which was built in 1911. They did install new windows, the two (2) pane vapor sealed thst is intended to keep the heat in and the cold out and vice versa in the warmer months only about three (3) of our New Windows are cracked and become FOGGED UP because the VAPOR GAS SEAL was BROKEN which the pictures show perfectly.The bathroom doors actually opens inward and if someone is on the toilet the door cannot be opened in a emergency which I also photographed and is ILLEGAL! Actually the center of the toilet is supposed to be fifteen (15") from the entrance wall assuming the door opened outward as ordered by code as well as being the same distance from the vanity or sink, OURS IS ABOUT a FOOT (12"). I Swear if somebody actually set out to make an ILLEGAL DWELLING they couldn't have done a better job! I give this year's SLUMLORD of The Year Award to Ms. Josephine Lazzarini Battiala! (Clap)

          She has found a Remedy to all these ILLEGAL CONDITIONS....... She told my roomate she wants us out by the end of the month! When YOU COMPLAIN THEY EVICT! Well.... I can't wait for our day in court! I thought maybe Nico was just dropped on his head when young but now I can see it is just proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. (LOL)

            DO NOT BE A VICTIM! DO YOUR HOMEWORK, CALL 311, Go to the Department of Building's website which I linked above. Have Questions about Code Violations? Post them and I will do my Best to answer them and cite the Law to help support your case.

            If YOU need any QUALIFIED HANDYMAN WORK done contact us by emailing us @ contactus@nychandymanandfurnitureassembly.com or visit our website @ http://www.nychandymanandfurnitureassembly.com/.

Keep Reading and Posting and We Will Keep You Up to Date On Our Fight For Justice!

Christopher Purnell

No comments:

Post a Comment